Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nagata House



As I mentioned before, the Nagata's were my host family when I first went to Japan at age sixteen. I lived there again in the mid-90s. We did a lot of touristy things in the area like going to Sensoji Temple, the covered shopping area Nakamise, and the drum museum where you can play some of the drums. But having lived in that area for almost two years in the past, I didn't even think to bring my camera. Plus it was too hot to think. The new house in of itself was of equal interest to me.

They live on the same plot of land as last time I visited, but I had no idea what it would be like since they leveled everything and rebuilt since I last was here about four years ago. It is quite common to tear down and rebuild houses in neighborhoods such as theirs, altering the living space to suit one's changing needs and the times. They used to have a basic postwar 2.5 story house with makeshift 2nd floor walkways to the neighboring properties where the two children lived, and part rented out as storage. I knew it would be different but was impressed and surprised to find an elevator in the new building. There is a garage and then you can go up to the floors where different family members live, and there is roof area where you can play or light fireworks as we did. They have the nicest home bath I've seen in awhile, and Sam loved it, especially because the granite tiles were green, his favorite color.

Like most such houses, there are elements of older Japanese architecture combined with modern conveniences. Here there is a tatami room with lowered floor to put your feet in. Sam did exactly what all kids seem to do - climb under the table. It makes a great batters' box. Maia liked to dance with her adopted grandpa - she's just learned to pull up.

No comments: